Idea Pool

Hello Campus Codefesters. We are leveraging uservoice to collect your ideas and votes on projects for the Campus Codefest 2013 event on August 15th-16th, 2013. Please keep it on tasks and serious, please!

Here is my project idea...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. University API Central - api.umn.edu

Everyone likes open data. Let's create a way for individuals and departments to share their collective data in one structured directory. Examples of similar services include:
    http://api.uwaterloo.ca/
    https://developer.berkeley.edu/docs

For example, Student Unions and Activities recently launched a subdomain for hosting select data with a RESTful design model using standard formats (JSON, XML) and metadata. The model is useful for building our own applications and may assist other departments with sharing information. A few examples of data we publish internally:
    * Currently registered student groups
    * Current building hours and service status
    * Event calendar data

These types of data could…

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Campus Map based on Open Data

Volunteers have already started building the University of Minnesota campus map using an open framework called Open Street Map. Check the map at http://osm.org/go/T~ffMSXp--?layers=Q to see our progress so far. This data can be imported, exported, improved and overlaid, but that's just the beginning. If we had access to some campus GIS data, we might be able to develop a bonafide campus map similar to the University of Wisconsin-Madison's official map: http://www.map.wisc.edu/

Let's get together and work on a new version of the UMN campus map that relies on open data.

40 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Reddit/StackOverflow style interface for Knowledge Base / Data Dictionary

Managing the University's institutional knowledge is hard. The experts for how to calculate a value lie across departments and a field might have a variety of CORRECT ways to be calculated. The meta data and data dictionary tool would provide an interface for "up/down voting" definitions, adding comments and adding alternative definitions. Users can be branded as experts by administrators or gain reputation by providing accepted answers. Would leverage interfaces with gists and other shared tools. Would fill the gaps on knowledge base and easy-to-use data definitions. Would also be source with central information whenever possible.

Current similar tools, data…

35 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • A canonical, community-maintained Shibboleth authentication library

We all cook up and maintain authentication modules, often at the point of need and application-specific. Wouldn't it be nice to go to github.umn.edu and download one we built together? And wouldn't it be even nicer to have your own say in what features are important to you?

We can define a common interface to expose the attributes we need, authorize guest users, group whitelists or whatever, and bang out implementations in PHP, Ruby on Rails, or any other popular technologies on campus.

33 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Chef Workshop

Bring your own list of recipes you'd like to build, and we'll do it collectively. Need a specific type of web server? Want to build out a secured base system (with remote logging, host-based IDS like OSSEC or AIDE, etc.)? A developer desktop system with everything you need to be productive (from one cookbook)?

32 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • UMN Digital Asset Management Requirements Sprint

There are many overlapping efforts in the area of digital asset management, particularly in the area of image collection storage and retrieval. Developing a core set of requirements that span these many efforts would be a big step towards the implementation of a system that meets these needs and will help to shape ongoing efforts (in the University Libraries and the College of Liberal Arts, for example).

Since we have the rare opportunity of many key stakeholders in one room together for a couple of days, let’s put together a core set of requirements to address common needs such as: …

31 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Admin →
              • Unit directory module for Drupal

Many departments are featuring their staff directory on their unit's websites. Often these directories are edited manually. Some departments have written custom code to query the UMN data repository for their unit's staff directory information and display it automatically. This idea is to create a Drupal module that would allow a unit to enter their unit's official designation into the Drupal module's configuration and the module would produce that unit's staff directory for publishing on their website.

30 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Admin →
                • Drop In Org Chart on Any Site

Academic Support Resources (ASR) uses a unique approach to integrating read-only enterprise data into web applications and sites that embodies the direction that the Enterprise System Upgrade Project is recommending the institution go--moving closer to the core data structures of our enterprise systems rather than using derivative sources like X.500 or data warehouse views (i.e. DWHR, DWSA, etc). Virtually all of ASR’s web infrastructure is powered by this underlying platform technology. In this project, participants would learn about these tools and be invited to rethink and re-implement ASR’s org chart in a way that could be used by any department…

29 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Building Security Into The Development Processs

Set up a continuous integration environment for an existing (or CCF developed) project, and add in open source tools to help reduce security issues with the project - static code analysis, code complexity analysis, unit testing, etc. Document the processes for setting up the CI server, connecting the build triggers to GitHub Enterprise, and setting up tools for the language(s) used by the project.

23 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Admin →
                    • Campus Connector API

In 2012, PTS implemented the NextBus system on the Campus Connector shuttles. This system provides riders with information on route schedules, how far away the next bus is, delays, and other data. Currently the system provides information via text alerts, QR codes, and a web-based map.

However, NextBus also provides an XML API for their tracking services. It provides a wealth of data on the bus system, including near-realtime metrics on heading, latitude, longitude, last update, speed, and even passenger counts. The documentation advises 10 second poll intervals; in reality the positions are often updated every 5 seconds.

There are…

23 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • A tool to help identify parts of a codebase that reference fields that may require changes to function properly in the post ESUP world

The folks at ESUP are working on an uber-spreadsheet that will be widely discussed and shared across UMN-IT. The goal of the spreadsheet is to help IT staff understand how SQL queries in custom reports and applications will need to change to function properly against PeopleSoft 9.x tables & columns (the version we're migrating to). The spreadsheet maps every column in every Data Warehouse table first to it's equivalent in 8.9, then again to it's corresponding table and column in 9.x. This spreadsheet will be a critical blueprint for many of us, however, pragmatically using it to inform which bits…

18 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Admin →
                        • Shibboleth’s Lil Helper: The Remix

In Fall of 2011, I wrote and open-sourced Shibboleth’s Lil Helper to help facilitate the University’s migration from X.500 to Shibboleth. In the two years since then, the tool has been downloaded over 5000 times and has been widely used within the University to help ease the pain of maintaining Shibboleth configuration across a department’s collection of web servers, sites, and apps. See links below.

https://rubygems.org/gems/shibboleths_lil_helper
                          https://github.com/umn-asr/shibboleths_lil_helper

The tool could use a rethink. This project might include:
                          - discussion of the frustrations that users have with it and find/implement ways to address them.
                          - re-architecting it to be more DevOps…

18 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Develop a standard platform for scheduling student workers

Scheduling student workers is a kind of a unique task that doesn't fit into the flow of a lot of scheduling software. Often times student worker schedules are based on availability, rather than fixed shifts. Unfortunately, a lot of the scheduling software out there is not ideal for this kind of situation.

This is why I started creating OpenSkedge (https://github.com/maxfierke/OpenSkedge, mirrored at https://github.umn.edu/fierk007/OpenSkedge). It's designed to fill this gap by providing a FOSS solution for departments looking for an easy way to schedule student workers based on their availability in set scheduling periods.

I've been working on…

16 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Room/Resource Reservations System

We have a breakout/study/practice room reservation system that we are rebuilding to make it more mobile friendly.

It is for reserving a resource, like a study room, that is needs to be limited in some way.
                              * Only available during open hours
                              * We want to discourage hoarding the resource, we don't want people reserving and then not using it
                              * We don't want people reserving and canceling reservations at the last minute (or same calendar day)
                              * We want administrative views and overrides for resources and reservations

Our current design uses a set of google calendars as a back…

14 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Service Gateway API

If you use Service Gateway and would like to automate tasks like assigning a MAC address or requesting a jack, you'll love this project. Participants would work with NTS to build a simple API for manipulating jacks, MACS, IPs, and hostnames. I've seen this done a similar way with QualysGard's API and thought it was pretty cool.

14 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Crowdsource U

This project could take several directions. It could be a Public Insight Network-like site (publicinsightnetwork.org) where students and/or faculty register and identify topics that they are interested in or knowledgeable about. The result would be a way for researchers to find subjects for surveys or for their research. It might also provide a means of connecting the public with experts similar to experts.umn.edu.

Another direction could be a site similar to Amazon Mechanical Turk or elance.com that would connect faculty and staff with students who can fulfil small, one-off jobs; the job could either require a specific skill, or be…

11 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Other

A table or two set aside for "other" projects would be a good idea. If the goal is to build communication and relationships between developers having tables designated for projects that didn't get voted on would allow people to come and work on other projects if they find the chosen projects to be not applicable.

11 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Contribute to Moodle

Have a feature you've always wanted to see in Moodle, want to learn how it works, or brainstorm ideas for interacting with Moodle?

This is an opportunity to contribute directly to the moodle.org project and have your changes picked up by the U, as well as other Moodle users around the world!

Development options range from features like counting the number of words in forum posts or adding printer-friendly styles for forums and quizzes to arcs like introducing better patch management.

11 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • ESUP Communications web hub - We need a more reliable and flexible web presence than we get out of Blogger and Google Sites

Current Site is Upgrade.umn.edu . All the "projects" have Google sites. It is kludgy and not very effective to use Blogger as our home page. We thought we could get away with this sort of WYSIWYG-only web presence, but we are beginning to see this as a significant barrier to doing a good job. We will have lots to communicate over the next 18 months.

Top things we want out of our web site
                                        1) Something we can maintain relatively simply: without back-end skills. Something that can grow.
                                        2) Flexibility to be able to communicate our key messages & basic…

9 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • User interface accessibility - A forum for learning about, discussing, and accessibility review of user interface designs.

Combines aspects of "VoiceOver, Your Apple hand-held has something to say!" and "Web Accessibility: Issues and Techniques." Developers can experience their application interface with a screen reader on both/either full or mobile platforms. Aiding developers in producing applications that are accessible and meet the university's Accessibility of Information
                                          Technology (AIT) policy.

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon