Here is my project idea...

Develop a standard platform for scheduling student workers

Scheduling student workers is a kind of a unique task that doesn't fit into the flow of a lot of scheduling software. Often times student worker schedules are based on availability, rather than fixed shifts. Unfortunately, a lot of the scheduling software out there is not ideal for this kind of situation.

This is why I started creating OpenSkedge (https://github.com/maxfierke/OpenSkedge, mirrored at https://github.umn.edu/fierk007/OpenSkedge). It's designed to fill this gap by providing a FOSS solution for departments looking for an easy way to schedule student workers based on their availability in set scheduling periods.

I've been working on this based on input from a supervisor within CSOM, but I'd love to expand OpenSkedge to accommodate other types of scheduling scenarios here at the U.

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Max FierkeMax Fierke shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Max FierkeMax Fierke commented  · 

I've used Shiftplanning in the past as a student worker and did not find the experience very enjoyable. It's a rather sluggish application. It's got very nice reporting features, but from the worker side of things, the user experience is not good.

• JoelJoel commented  · 

I've not used ShiftPlanning here are the U but I use it for volunteering at the Minnesota Street Car museum. I agree, top notch product, I'd look into what they've done at the very least if you're still interested in rolling your own.

• Craig GjerdingenCraig Gjerdingen commented  · 

We looked very seriously at ShiftPlanning.com and ShiftBoard.com, and in the end have chosen ShiftPlanning.com, I believe UMN Disability Services uses it as well. It has both Google Auth and SAML (Shib) Auth, and we tied it to x500. For the cost (ShiftPlanning.com is cheap), the only other feasible system would have to be free open source, and hosted by Central IT. Otherwise ShiftPlanning.com is so reasonable. It also has some connection to Google Apps, but I don't really know what the features are there, we don't purchase them.

Idea Pool

Feedback and Knowledge Base