Here is my project idea...

ESUP Communications web hub - We need a more reliable and flexible web presence than we get out of Blogger and Google Sites

Current Site is Upgrade.umn.edu . All the "projects" have Google sites. It is kludgy and not very effective to use Blogger as our home page. We thought we could get away with this sort of WYSIWYG-only web presence, but we are beginning to see this as a significant barrier to doing a good job. We will have lots to communicate over the next 18 months.

Top things we want out of our web site
1) Something we can maintain relatively simply: without back-end skills. Something that can grow.
2) Flexibility to be able to communicate our key messages & basic IA effectively while also delivering current news.
3) Integrates Google Cal & doc feeds. Can display a Blog feed and sort with our blog tagging. Feedback form(s)
4) Reliable and speedy
5) Looks more professional than the Blogger & Google Sites

Platform is negotiable (Drupal? An old fashioned html site we manage in Dreamweaver?) Just needs to meet these basic needs. This seems like a pretty manageable scope for this codefest...

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SantiagoSantiago shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark HMark H commented  · 

We have used Google sites too, and kludgy might be a kind way of describing what they do. The widgets are maddening to use and Gdoc integration leaves a LOT to be desired. We really do need better collaboration web tools.

• Chad FennellChad Fennell commented  · 

This could be a good learning project for folks interested in learning how to build a Drupal site. Thanks for posting!

Idea Pool

Feedback and Knowledge Base