Here is my project idea...

University API Central - api.umn.edu

Everyone likes open data. Let's create a way for individuals and departments to share their collective data in one structured directory. Examples of similar services include:
http://api.uwaterloo.ca/
https://developer.berkeley.edu/docs

For example, Student Unions and Activities recently launched a subdomain for hosting select data with a RESTful design model using standard formats (JSON, XML) and metadata. The model is useful for building our own applications and may assist other departments with sharing information. A few examples of data we publish internally:
* Currently registered student groups
* Current building hours and service status
* Event calendar data

These types of data could be included. With this model in mind, our vision is to set up a decentralized directory service where individuals or departments could submit a RESTful API URL for others to browse. The service could validate the API format, provide documentation on parameters or special use cases, but leave the actual hosting up to the submitter. The service could be collectively developed on Github and hosted at the University.

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ken LoomisKen Loomis shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ken LoomisKen Loomis commented  · 

I've emailed both to see if we can get some ideas from their teams.

• David PetersonAdminDavid Peterson (Systems Analyst, Campus Codefest) commented  · 

Has anyone got in touch with UC-Berkeley to check out what they are leveraging to manage this service? I think a realistic CCF outcome could be write up a robust spec on how api.umn.edu should function and choose a simple, super accessible (e.g. no security/privacy risk) data sets and try to implement.

Idea Pool

Feedback and Knowledge Base